Remembering Lorna Chandler

The BTBA were saddened to learn of the passing of Lorna Chandler on Monday.  Cambridgeshire Local Area Secretary Martin Townshend kindly sent in the following:

“Lorna Chandler sadly passed away on 18th May 2020.

“We believe Lorna started bowling in the 1960s with her husband Barry and has been heavily involved in leagues and tournaments for many years.

“She was one of the most determined women I have ever met, she spent her time in recent years going to the gym to try and keep her self mobile enough to bowl. She bowled all over the country in tournaments, at one point almost every weekend. Whether that be in the Sunday scratch at King Lynn run by her friend Sue Cobb or at RAF Lakenheath in the King of the Hill ,Lorna even turned up to some events knowing she couldn’t bowl just to see her friends.

“She also travelled further afield most recently in the tenpin tour, where she even managed to win an event at Martlesham in 2013. The tenpin tour also took her on a plane for the first time for its masters to Gibraltar. Lorna bowled in leagues in several centres from King’s Lynn, RAF Lakenheath, RAF Wyton to name a few. Lorna also was heavily involved in the YBC at Strikes bowl in Ely for many years and when the Soke of Peterborough expanded to Cambridgeshire she got involved with the juniors and eventually herself bowled in the Adult and Senior ladies team.  Even when she went on holiday her and Barry would go to Margate and practice at Bugsys bowl in Cliftonville. Bowling was a massive part of Lorna’s life. She made many friends in bowling and met so many people, some of whom became very close friends to her.

“Away from the lanes Lorna had a son Carl and grandson Dexter who she adored.
“Only last week Lorna had been on the phone to Sue Cobb trying to work out how the bowls and gyms could reopen so she could get back to what she loves.
“Unfortunately Lorna didn’t get to see that day, she had suffered a bleed on the brain and was found by her husband Barry sitting in the chair on Wednesday lunchtime, Barry phoned regularly for updates as was not allowed to stay with her in hospital, he said his goodbyes before she was taken to hospital after over 50 years of marriage, she later passed on Monday evening in Addenbrokes.
“All our thoughts and well wishes go to Barry and the rest of the family at this time.